“Friends of the Humanities began as a group to raise funds for U.S.L. in the 80’s when the economy sank. It also became an organization that encouraged classes, lectures and study tours – all of which I really enjoyed. I was able to renew many old friendships and had the opportunity to make many new ones.”
— Betty Fleming
The First President of the Friends of the Humanities (FOH)
The Friends of the Humanities have provided in excess of $500,000 for grants and other financial support to the University of Louisiana Lafayette Humanities programs during its 31-year history.
As Dr. Joseph Savoie, UL Lafayette President, noted in his Fall 2019 address to faculty and staff, “UL Lafayette remains dependent on self-generated revenue following nearly a decade of state cuts to higher education funding. During the 2008-09 fiscal year, the University received 66 percent of its revenue from the State; in 2018-19, it received 27 percent.” The need to support the Friends’ chosen academic area, the Humanities, is greater today than it has ever been.
Humanities comprise almost 50% of the core requirements for all UL Lafayette students including those studying engineering, business and technology. Dean Jordan Kellman stresses that “Humanities education offers the best preparation for personal and professional success in a complex and rapidly changing world.”
Join the Friends of the Humanities today. Help us support UL Lafayette humanities. All donations are tax-deductible gifts as no goods or services are received in return for your contribution.
Categories of Membership
- Amicus Excellentissimus ($5,000 and above)
- Amicus Magnus ($100.00-$249.00)
- Amicus Augustus ($1,000-$4,999)
- Amicus Illustrius ($500-$999)
- Amicus Superior ($250-$499)
- Couple ($75.00)
- Individual ($40.00)
- UL Lafayette Faculty ($25.00)
Complete the Membership Form and Interest Survey today!
- Audit humanities classes each semester
- 5-week Books & Films courses offered for Friends members
- Attendance to Fiero Lecture Series
- Private tours of each of the exhibits at the Hilliard Art Museum
- Friends trips to points of cultural and educational interest
- Christmas and spring membership socials
- Fall and spring luncheons with speakers in the field of the humanities